- Permanent (5)
5 Manufacturing & Engineering Jobs Found
email - as they go live.
by email - as they go live.
TEST LABORATORY MANAGER - TESTING & CERTIFICATION
“Career development and leadership opportunity for commercially focused Test & Certification specialist with best in class experience in mechanical and electrical test engineering or other disciplines, including chemical, metallurgical, forensics etc to UK and International Standards”
Salary: c£40,000 + Excellent Large Company Benefits
Commutable from Birmingham, Kidderminster, Stafford, Stone, Walsall, Wolverhampton, Wednesbury, Stourbridge, Halesowen, Bromsgrove, Lichfield, Tamworth, Stoke on Trent, Telford, Shrewsbury, Droitwich, Redditch, Worcester, Coventry, Warwick, Sutton Coldfield, Coleshill, Crewe
Our client is a well-established and respected manufacturer of fixtures, fittings and components both mechanical and electronic in the home and building infrastructure products sector. Highly acquisitive and experiencing excellent growth, the company is based in a brand-new office, distribution centre and test centre complex in the West Midlands close to the M6/M54 but has operational facilities and subsidiaries nationally and globally.
They are now seeking to strengthen their Test Centre team with the appointment of a Manager to head up their brand-new Test & Certification facility. Our client offers testing and certification services both on an in-house basis to internal group companies and also to external customers including other manufacturers of mechanical, electrical and electronic components and products, in line with industry and national and international standards and certifications. The role also encompasses management of product certification schemes to ensure continuity of compliance and maximise value from product certifications
Testing equipment is predominantly pneumatic, hydraulic plus electrical/electronic includes tensile and other strength tests.
You will manage our client’s brand-new Test Engineering Centre, ensuring that internal and external customer needs are met, providing an exemplary service, managing product certification scheme to ensure continuity of compliance and maximum value from product certifications. The role is as much about team management as technical competence.
- Promote and maintain compliance with procedural requirements and best practice for safety, health and environmental factors associated with testing operations, ensuring suitable provision is made for the identification of hazards and management of risks
- Develop & maintain the necessary systems and competencies within the testing team to manage daily operations, testing scheduling, and quote and report generation
- Promote and maintain professional standards of service.
- Manage the testing capacity to suitably cater for customer indicative, UKAS accredited, competitor analysis, development and audit test requirements.
- Develop & maintain the necessary systems and competencies within the testing team to manage daily operations, testing scheduling, and quote and report generation
- Preparation of audit test samples for our client’s certified product testing.
- Maintain a test quotation and booking service with transparent lead times and manage the provision of testing to agreed service levels.
- Maintenance and development of UKAS accredited ISO 17025 Laboratory management system, manuals, procedures and accreditation requirements.
- Identification and implementation of testing service improvements including scope of service and efficiency
- Promotion of our client’s testing services within the industry to maximise value.
- Development and maintenance of our client’s product certifications including CE marking, Kitemark and Certify product schemes, and product specific testing evidence.
- Monitor and evaluate developments within industry testing and product standards, identifying threats and opportunities and liaising with key stakeholders.
- Represent our client’s testing services at the Test House Studies Group.
- A key area is the day to day management and development of the Test Engineers and Team Leader to ensure flexibility and a high quality of service.
- Maintain good relationships internally with key members of executive team as well as customers and external bodies.
- Degree/HNC/HND educated in Mechanical or Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Metallurgy, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Forensics or similar.
- Experience of Electrical/Electronic Engineering advantageous. Experience could be gained in mechanical, electronic, chemicals, biological, metals sectors or forensics.
- Currently working within a similar specialist testing team or alternatively as part of a quality or product development function within a manufacturing environment but keen to develop career further into testing and certification.
- Experienced leading and motivating engineers including apprentices is essential.
- Experience of BSI standards essential.
- Customer facing experience essential – this could be external customers or internal customers within different product or manufacturing divisions of the same organisation.
- Experience of planning resource allocation and creating and presenting reports.
- Structured problem-solving techniques, including analysis and corrective and preventative action identification
- Ability to technically appraise company and competitor products.
In return our client offers a competitive salary plus pension, 25 days holiday and the option to choose from a wide variety of other benefits offered by our client.
TECHNICAL MANAGER – PROCESS & PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT & TESTING
“Transformational change and leadership role for graduate calibre Engineering professional, with lean, CI & Six Sigma experience required to manage specification sales led technical operation. Experience of sheet metal CNC forming, pressing and welding processes, innovation, product development and testing advantageous”
c£55-60000 + Benefits
East/West Midlands border
Commutable from Nuneaton, Tamworth, Atherstone, Dordon, Bedworth, Hinckley, Lichfield, Ashby de la Zouche, Leicester, Coventry, Rugby, Lutterworth, Sutton Coldfield, Coleshill, Cannock, Rugeley, Burton upon Trent, Birmingham, Solihull, Warwick, Leamington Spa
Our client, a division of a large UK group, is a market leader in the specification sales led manufacture and supply of mechanical security and service access solutions to the industrial and commercial sector including hotels, airports, shopping centres, high rise buildings, supermarkets, distribution centres, hotels, rail/underground, hospitals/care homes, student accommodation, commercial and residential developments, interior design and fit out sector. The technical and sales team work closely with architects, engineers, main contractors and other specifiers. The products are both standard and bespoke.
With a broad remit and working with a small team you will lead the Technical function across one major site on the East/West Midlands border and oversight of another in Hertfordshire. You will work with design, product development, sales, CNC technical engineers/programmers, IT and production personnel. Using best practice, you will identify opportunities for increased efficiency, productivity & innovation. Your ultimate responsibility is to take the division, technically, from its current state to a higher level within a few years that will drive business growth with differentiated products.
Key to success in the role is oversight of testing, fire certification and compliance both routine and developmental in the light of building regulations and recent events in high rise buildings.
- Develop and evolve appropriate processes to efficiently drive new and existing product portfolio development, creating an environment to promote innovation, engineering integrity, reliability and best value.
- Develop and evolve effective processes to manage the compliance and timely delivery of customised manufacturing design data in line with agreed service levels.
- Effectively maintain the organisation’s product certification and regulatory compliance programme, ensuring appropriate systems and controls are in place to identify changes in regulatory and certification requirements and maintaining compliance throughout the specification of standard and customised products.
- Provide a source of technical leadership and expertise to the Division focussing on the development of engineering techniques.
- Lead initiatives to support the business’s waste reduction strategy through value engineering and design for manufacture.
- Develop appropriate KPIs that drive and measure continuous improvement.
- Lead the personal development and capability of the design and manufacturing support team members.
- Set and then work within established budgets, managing full costs associated with development of existing products and new product development.
- Maintain high standards around the company’s established operating principles of Lean Operational Excellence, Data Driven Decision Making, Profitable Growth, and Employee Engagement.
- Maintain and develop robust business systems including overseeing migration and implementation of new ERP system.
- Drive safety excellence within all technical operations and contribute to daily maintenance management.
- You will be an engineering graduate or time-served probably with HND or HNC and with c7/8 years proven experience in managing a technical, mechanical design or manufacturing environment ideally working with sheet metal or similar materials.
- Previous specific responsibilities may have been for mechanical design, production or/and engineering functions. Enjoys supporting manufacturing.
- Experience in managing and maintaining fire certifications and testing for passive fire protection products is desirable.
- Commercial understanding and used to serving customers daily.
- Strong focus on innovation and driving processes
- Exceptional communication and relationship management/building skills across all functions.
- A proven motivator, mentor and highly visible leader who has successfully worked and engaged with cross-functional teams.
- Assertive and effective decision making demonstrating a senior presence whilst also a team player.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to contribute to the strategic agenda.
- Expertise in lean/continuous improvement.
- Takes personal ownership and able to manage the journey.
- Strategically minded but tactically adept. Total business understanding and focus on key priorities.
- Future potential to progress further within the organisation. Able to take the business to new levels.
STRATEGIC CATEGORY BUYER/MANAGER – PRECISION ENGINEERING & PROCESS TECHNOLOGY
“Exciting Transformational Change role for ambitious precision engineering and process technology procurement specialist with experience of large £multi million capital investment projects.”
£Very Competitive (Dependent Upon Experience) + Blue Chip Benefits Package
Location: North West
Commutable from Chester, Ellesmere Port, Mold, Wrexham, Birkenhead, Wallasey, Warrington, Runcorn, Widnes, Liverpool, Crewe, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Greater Manchester, Wigan, Newton le Willows, Leigh, Heywood, Skelmersdale.
Our client is a global player within the specialist energy, electricity and power generation sector.
As part of a strategic transformation of the procurement function moving to a shared service and category management model across its global operating units, our client seeks to strengthen its team with the appointment of an ambitious, innovative and creative Strategic Senior Category Buyer/Manager – Precision Engineering and Process Technology.
You will be a university degree educated strategic category and procurement management professional with experience of precision engineering equipment including tooling, valves, vacuum pumps and automated process technology.
We are looking for a highly motivated change orientated individual who can contribute to the development of our client’s procurement capability.
You will be skilled at working collaboratively across different cultures and will be able to bring significant change in a regulated environment. Meeting these sometimes-competing objectives while driving a value delivery agenda provides a stimulating and challenging environment which will test you every day.
- Delivery of new strategic procurement options for the precision engineering and process technology category.
- Category development and delivery, setting out the value drivers for the category and the roadmap of actions for delivery.
- Commercial interface with all other process facilities within the process technology division ensuring technical and regulatory compliance;
- Detailed risk analysis of the supply chain and asset base to establish a demand pipeline and to drive value delivery.
- Shaping and management of supplier relationships to ensure value is delivered including value definition, value creation including opportunity development and supply chain execution process; value capture including governance and compliance management and value protection to mitigate risk.
- Management and development of robust business partner relationships will be critical to success in the role. You will be expected to leverage experience of procurement strategy and delivery in your field of expertise to build these relationships. The strength of your relationship will enable you to confidently challenge business partners to think and act differently, to be creative and open to new ideas and to explore new supply chain possibilities.
- Acceptance of responsibility for delivering the value set out in your sub-category strategy.
- Experience of influencing and shaping contracts, supplier relationships and contract management will ensure you deliver the expected business benefits from the spend you are managing.
- Contribution to the development of the Procurement function’s capability bringing experience of best practice from other industries and employers.
The Ideal Person will possess the following qualifications, experience, skills and competencies:
- A university degree and ideally CIPS (or equivalent) qualification
- Experience of working across global operations or multi-site environments and a keen sense of cultural awareness.
- Experience ideally gained within energy, power generation, oil and gas or defence related sectors including NEC3 or EPC construction contracts would be highly advantageous.
- Understanding of the nuances of Precision Engineering and Automated Process Technology contracts and knowledge and skill in the development of category specific contracts which secure value for our client and mitigate risk as much as possible.
- A proven track record in value delivery, improvement activity and best practice development in Precision Engineering and Process Technology procurement.
- Understanding Precision Engineering and Process Technology markets, suppliers and technologies and how to leverage them for value for our client
- Building Precision Engineering and Process Technology sub-category and category strategies to describe how value will delivered in the short, medium and long term
- Negotiating with Precision Engineering and Process Technology suppliers to drive the right commercial and contractual outcomes
- Building relationships internally and externally to enable you to be successful in your role and to contribute to the development of our client as a world-class procurement organisation
- A thirst for knowledge, an inquisitive mind-set and drive for results.
- A knowledge of Procurement systems and technologies and the ability to put operational measures in place to ensure contracts deliver brilliantly.
In return our client offers a very competitive salary and blue-chip benefits package and the opportunity to develop your career within a market leader.
PRODUCT MANAGER - Mechanical Hardware into the OEM & Distribution Sector
Salary: c£50000 - £60000 plus benefits
Location: West Midlands
Commutable from Birmingham, Kidderminster, Stafford, Stone, Walsall, Wolverhampton, Wednesbury, Stourbridge, Halesowen, Bromsgrove, Lichfield, Tamworth, Stoke on Trent, Telford, Shrewsbury, Droitwich, Redditch, Worcester, Coventry, Warwick, Sutton Coldfield, Coleshill, Stockport, Crewe
This fast growing and acquisitive client wish to strengthen their product offering with a Product Manager responsible for mechanical hardware. You will focus on developing a pipeline of new product development to time scale and product life cycle management for customers in the OEM housebuilding/construction, building trade and DIY/hardware distribution sectors. You will take full ownership and responsibility for your designated product portfolio and deliver continued commercial success of those products by managing them according to their stage within the product lifecycle. You must have experience of NPD from ‘cradle to grave’.
- Co-ordinate market and customer research into new product and new product category ideas working with the sales, marketing, design and technical teams to harness cross functional expertise
- Be the go-to-person in the business for new product ideas, actively promote this and make yourself available to encourage idea generation across the business
- Keep abreast of product developments within the OEM & Distribution sector and competitors. Use this intelligence to identify new product opportunities
- Develop project proposals to be considered for entry into the product development process, paying close attention to cost, price and margin and for projects that merit progression work closely to the Prince2 product development and Stage Gate processes to deliver products in a timely, high quality and financially compelling manner
- Monitor project status and communicate to the rest of the business
- Work closely with Design & Technical to ensure stringent validation approvals against the product design where necessary
- Monitor the evolving needs of customers and the sales teams to ensure that projects are being treated with the right level of priority at any given time
- Work with sales and supply chain to establish initial order quantities and with marketing to deliver a fully featured launch process and collateral and also prepare training material in relation to the new product and ensure it is delivered to all relevant parties
- Create excitement across the business when stock is available in order that the products are more likely to be talked about to customers by the sales team
- In partnership with the sales team and technical teams, stay close to early adopters of new products and gather feedback on experiences of the product feeding back improvements to the design team. Feedback positive comment to the sales and marketing teams to incorporate in pitches/marketing material
- Conduct a ground up review of the product portfolio understanding the detail and intricacies of the range. Rationalise legacy and obsolete products, classify remaining products and create an action plan for each by revisiting features and benefit and re-launch to the sales force or investigate opportunities for VAVE or replacement
- Build a category development strategy for the product portfolio and manage all products accordingly including looking for opportunities to reduce the size of the portfolio, categorise & bundle product ranges, review opportunities for VAVE, re-energise products by modernising packaging, manage changeovers and ensure terminated products are sold off profitably
- Educated to degree level with a background in product management gained within the mechanical hardware/components sector focussing on OEM housebuilding, construction, building trade, DIY/hardware sectors or similar, for example automotive
- Must have experience of NPD from concept to launch as well as product portfolio management and product lifecycle management through to termination
- Prince 2 Practitioner preferred or similar methodology
- Strong strategic analysis skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Comfortable working in a matrix management environment
- Highly flexible
HEAD OF TRANSPORT PLANNING – PARAGON SPECIALIST
“Excellent opportunity for experienced and graduate calibre transport network planning & Paragon transport systems specialist to lead brand new transport management centre”
£Excellent + Blue Chip Benefits
South East Asia
Our client is global market leader. As part of an Asia Pac transformation programme to improve and drive transport network synergies, centralised planning, visibility and control, our client is seeking a Head of Transport Planning who is also a very experienced Paragon transport planning systems specialist.
As Head of Transport Planning you will lead and manage a new centralised Transport Planning Management Centre, planning our client’s very large-scale, 1500 vehicle + fleet. This will include planning inhouse full load networks, LCL networks and scheduling of a large pool of national sub-contractor transport partners. This is expected to grow further as part of an ambitious strategic plan. You and your team will support multiple sites and operations serving customers nationally. You will lead a team of Planning Managers and Planners.
The ideal applicant will be of graduate calibre, in logistics, engineering or business and a strategic thinker with excellent change programme management experience. Your career history will be characterised by fast track career progression and demonstrable achievements in transport planning excellence. Most importantly, you will possess in-depth and consistent experience of large-scale in house and sub contract fleet planning and management across multiple locations, gained within a multinational high velocity Retail or FMCG or third-party logistics environment.
This is high profile and senior customer facing role and you will play a key role in understanding and fulfilling customer transport network requirements. You will be diplomatic and confident with the experience and credibility to successfully question and extract information and constructively challenge your internal and external stakeholders and your operational colleagues.
You will be logical and data driven in understanding problems and developing practical solutions. This will include setting KPI’s, targets and goals for monitoring and evaluating operations and cost effectiveness. You will also drive and control the effective use of resources in order to stay within budget.
You will ensure statutory and legal compliance developing a culture focused on safety, quality, service excellence, integrity and cost consciousness.
- Leading the Planning Team at a new Transport Management Center.
- Using Paragon Software, you will plan and design optimised schedules creating the greatest value for our client and its customers.
- Interpret data, understand complex demand planning and create optimal transport solutions across multiple customers, business divisions and operational locations.
- Create meaningful business intelligence reports for Transport Directors and create continual improvement solutions.
- Developing strategies and use state of the art systems to optimize fleet and create innovative transport solutions for multiple business sector.
- Manage planning, solutions, costs and reporting. Create planning schedules that achieve contractual service and performance levels and continue to improve transport models to beat the budgets and develop innovation.
- Deliver operational strategies using Paragon transport planning software.
- Reviews and updates KPIs, targets, and goals within Paragon for monitoring and evaluating operations and cost effectiveness.
- Develop Paragon transport software Super Users and upskilling the planning team.
- Understand and drive optimal solutions within transport national planning execution.
- Deliver continuous and unrelenting drive for improvement within our client’s transport and distribution operations. Including logical roll out strategies to achieve ambitious targets.
- Communicate effectively and constructively and diplomatically challenges and addresses site operational issues or people orientated issues in an open and collaborative manner.
- Lead from the front with an open and approachable “hands on” coaching and mentoring management style, which encourages empowerment and accountability and engenders enthusiasm and respect.
- Accountable to Board level for the delivery of operational and financial results
The Ideal Candidate:
- University degree educated in logistics or business or engineering or science. A Master’s Degree in logistics and supply chain or transport planning would be highly advantageous.
- An experienced transport management professional experienced in running large primary and secondary road transport fleets both in house and via third party 3PL and 4PL partnerships.
- A Paragon transport software specialist. This is a prerequisite.
- At least 7-10 years transport operations management and transport network planning experience.
- Experience of transport network planning, transport control tower concepts, transport operations management and project management.
- A track record of network development including implementation of centralised planning, transport management systems, network consolidation and integration.
- Transport operations leadership, customer relationship management, and project management expertise.
- This experience may predominantly have been gained within 3PL contract logistics focused on both primary and secondary road transport or large retail or other large FMCG or Industrial multinational, multi-site, complex and high velocity transport operations.
- Highly analytical and data driven with experience of transport management, routing and planning software packages. An advanced user of Excel. A project management qualification would be highly advantageous.
- Fast track career progression to date with the ambitious and desire to progress to Director level within this dynamic growth environment.