TEAM LEADER - Testing and Certification Services
“Career development and leadership opportunity for commercially focused Test & Certification specialist with best in class experience gained in mechanical or electrical test engineering or other disciplines, Eg biochemical, metallurgical, forensics etc to UK and International Standards”
Salary: c£28500 + Excellent Large Company Benefits
Commutable from Birmingham, Kidderminster, Stafford, Stone, Walsall, Wolverhampton, Wednesbury, Stourbridge, Halesowen, Bromsgrove, Lichfield, Tamworth, Stoke on Trent, Telford, Shrewsbury, Droitwich, Redditch, Worcester, Coventry, Warwick, Sutton Coldfield, Coleshill, Stockport, Crewe
Our client is a well-established and respected manufacturer of fixtures, fittings and components both mechanical and electronic in the home and building infrastructure products sector. Highly acquisitive and experiencing excellent growth, the company is based in a brand-new office, distribution centre and test centre complex in the West Midlands close to the M6/M54 but has operational facilities and subsidiaries nationally and globally.
They are now seeking to strengthen their Test Centre team with the appointment of a Team Leader to supervise daily testing services operations. Our client provides testing and certification services on an in-house basis to internal group companies and also to external customers including other manufacturers of mechanical, electrical and electronic components and products, in line with industry and national and international standards and certifications. The role also encompasses involvement in product certification schemes to ensure continuity of compliance and to maximise value from product certifications.
Testing equipment is pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical/electronic and would cover tensile testing as well as a wide range of other tests.
You will supervise day to day activities of a small team of test engineers ensuring that internal and external customer needs are met, providing an exemplary service, managing product certification schemes to ensure continuity of compliance and maximum value from product certifications.
- Schedule the daily and weekly tasks for the testing team to meet external and internal customer requirements.
- Promote and maintain professional standards of service.
- Establish and manage the progression of the development objectives for the test engineering team.
- Provide professional and timely communication of test scheduling and manage the timely and accurate generation of test reports.
- Ensure routine inspections, calibration, safety and maintenance processes are effectively performed.
- Provide support to the Testing & Certification Manager ensuring ongoing compliance and accreditation to all relevant testing and laboratory management standards.
- You will work with Test Engineers, Field Service Engineers, Design Engineers, Sales Team, Product Manager and Quality Engineers.
- Ensure compliance with all health, safety and environmental requirements and safe systems of work and maintain and update safety, health and environmental provisions as required.
- Prepare Monthly KPI’s including Activity Report, Testing Services Schedule, Testing Services booking Log and Record of component performance issues.
KEY SKILLS and BACKGROUND
- A background in mechanical engineering or manufacturing and ideally, but not essentially, with experience of mechanical testing. You might be involved in prototype/new product development or other disciplines Eg. Biochemical, forensics, metallurgical etc.
- Proven capability to manage a fluctuating & variable workload to firm deadlines.
- Competent to manage a small team, including task allocation and development.
- Good motivation, supervision and coaching skills in order to get the most from a disciplined team.
- Ability to promote professional conduct at all times.
- Good communication skills with all stakeholders including customers, accreditation bodies, suppliers and colleagues.
- Capability to interpret and perform test specifications within disciplined processes and procedures and with an innovative/questioning manner.
- Competent with IT systems including MS Word, Excel & Powerpoint.