SENIOR MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER/MANAGER
C£50000 plus bonus + pension
Hertfordshire (Commutable from Watford, Hemel Hempstead, St Albans, Hertford, Welwyn Garden City, Potters Bar, Cheshunt, Hoddesdon, Bishops Stortford, Harlow, Ware, Brentwood, Chelmsford, Cambridge, North London, High Wycombe, Luton, Aylesbury, Bedford, Epping and Waltham Abbey)
We have been retained by this client, part of a growing UK based and FTSE quoted international group that manufactures and assembles high quality architectural products from stainless steel sheet and extruded aluminium. Their products are used in major construction projects large and small in the UK and overseas including shopping centres, airports, supermarkets, railway stations, hospitals, schools, offices, factories, swimming pools, public buildings etc. The product range consists of both standard items and also architect specified bespoke designs delivered on a JIT basis within 7/10 days.
The role of Senior Mechanical Design Engineer/Manager is a new, key role following reorganisation focussed on growth. It will encompass the design of bespoke aluminium and stainless steel products from client design briefs. The manufacturing process entails CNC cutting and forming/press machines, CNC machine centre, welding and crimping, assembly and packing. Key projects will include leading the in-house research and development of completely new product ranges/categories and those currently contracted out and bought in. This is expected to become a major element of the role as the company grows. There will also be involvement in the implementation of a new ERP system to replace existing independent systems to ensure greater integration.
- Using 3D CAD and CRM systems to undertake the design of bespoke and unique solutions from design briefs at enquiry and order stage to include, when required, the design of structural steel sub frames.
- Undertake all estimating, pricing, labour and material costing and specifications.
- To supervise and further train and develop the existing Design Engineer.
- To make recommendations for design changes that will ensure economical design, improve manufacturing efficiency, product quality or performance.
- To lead the research and design of new products, ranges and categories.
- To travel to site when required to assist with product design and feasibility in conjunction with customers and architects.
- Work with Production Manager and Business Development Manager on design, productivity, efficiency, quality, Lean projects, ERP implementation and integration of processes etc.
- Work with external bodies Eg trade associations and suppliers/contractors concerning material specifications and product testing.
- 3D CAD proficiency is essential with Solid Works knowledge preferred or similar software such as AUTOCAD Inventor, Catia or ProEngineer
- Knowledge of sheet metal and extruded aluminium design, fabrication and assembly is useful.
- Graduate calibre qualifications in Design or Engineering including mechanical engineering essential.
- Able to understand a product brief and to design a practical and cost effective solution.
- Have full lifecycle design experience.
- Ability to carry out detailed structural calculations for steel beams including fixings into concrete slab.
- Understanding of thermal and fire rating for structural steel work.
- To have a full knowledge of fits and clearances required to create a successful assembly.
- Structural knowledge would be useful.
- Happy to travel to customer sites.