SITE ENGINEERING MANAGER - PRODUCTION & PROCESSING PLANT
"Exciting, high profile role for experienced Engineering Manager to join UK market leader at its flagship lean production & processing site"
£60-65000 Bonus & Benefits
Northern Home Counties
Commutable from Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire, Cambridgeshire
Our client is a market leader and operates several plants in the UK.
They are seeking an experienced Site Engineering Manager to take the lead at a strategically important site located in the Northern Home Counties.
Reporting to the Site Manager, the Engineering Manager, will operate as part of a national Engineering & Manufacturing Excellence function and will lead a team of electricians and mechanical fitters, ensuring that plant equipment and maintenance systems are maintained, developed and improved within a lean manufacturing and Continuous Improvement environment and culture. The focus is safety first and zero harm and as Site Engineering Manager you will champion and proactively promote this safe working ethos amongst your team and contractors. You will lead the daily management of a production critical maintenance department on a processing/manufacturing site which operates on a 24/7 basis. Assets include hydraulics, pneumatics, conveyors, batching plant, curing chambers, steam, boiler systems, PLC's, variable speed drives, cutting, packaging and palletising equipment, robots.
Therefore, our client is seeking an Engineering professional (mechanical or electrical) with a recent track record of engineering and maintenance team leadership gained within a "best in class", quality focused, manufacturing operation.
As a member of the senior management team, the Site Engineering Manager will manage an experienced and competent team of mechanical and electrical engineers and will work with the Production Manager and cross functional colleagues in implementing all maintenance operations both, mechanical and electrical across inspection, planning, scheduling, execution and improvement phases. The focus will be on delivering a culture of continuous improvement and proactive maintenance not only in maintenance operations but also safety and health, environmental compliance and plant reliability, establishing strong relationships both internally with central Engineering and Manufacturing Excellence and externally with OEMS and contractors.
* Develop a high-performing engineering and maintenance team with a culture of delivery and continuous improvement through effective leadership and management to deliver operational excellence.
* Ensure compliance with all relevant statutory legislation and the internal company Safety, Health and Environmental Standards.
* Drive improvements in plant availability and performance, including costs, through the implementation of company engineering maintenance best practices across the whole site.
* Own, develop and evolve the engineering maintenance strategy, implementing a common maintenance platform.
* To monitor and ensure implementation and delivery of engineering maintenance procedures, initiatives and controls across all areas of responsibility.
* Liaise between functions to ensure team work, consistency, co ordination and best practice to eliminate losses from poor practices or communication and to expedite learning.
* As part of the senior management team, develop annual maintenance budgets, highlighting operational constraints and the value adding performance that Engineering can make.
* Ensure the application of defect elimination/Pareto/root cause failure analysis to all losses and be responsible for the recommendation/implementation of solutions.
* Management of the established site maintenance, planning and cost reporting systems to maximise their potential to the organisation.
* Keep abreast of and apply where appropriate new condition monitoring technologies, maintenance improvement 'tools' and processes.
* Support the development of engineering staff by defining, and where necessary, providing training in activities that support maintenance improvement and coaching.
* Define and implement KPI's to monitor the performance of all maintenance employees and contractors.
* Apply and communicate the national engineering and maintenance improvement strategy for the site including proactively supporting cross functionally to ensure maintenance practices are adopted and implemented.
The Ideal Candidate:
* Qualified in engineering with a good understanding of mechanical engineering and electrical engineering. Qualifications in 17th or 18th edition, IOSH, NEBOSH would be highly advantageous although training will be provided
* Your engineering & maintenance team management experience will be from a very high safety culture, heavy industrial processing sector such as steel, chemicals, cement, construction materials, energy/power or similar environment.
* Experience using lean and continuous improvement techniques including root cause analysis and fault-finding techniques will be critical to success. Change and project management experience will therefore be highly advantageous.
* You will have experience of preparing and managing engineering budgets.
* An appreciation of a wide variety of engineering disciplines i.e. electrical, mechanical, chemical, process control and optimisation will be critical to success and credibility in this role.
* Excellent project management skills are essential as you will play a key site lead role, as part of the national engineering and manufacturing excellence team, on capital expenditure projects.
* A high level of IT literacy is essential i.e. Microsoft and maintenance management and process control systems.
* You will be an excellent communicator both in written and verbal format with executive presence, gravitas and technical and professional credibility.
* You will have a demonstrable track record of maintenance team leadership, motivation and development, working closely with HR to produce competency matrices, training plans, talent identification, coaching and mentoring.
* You will be an adept at engaging at all levels from the maintenance team to senior management nationally and cross functionally, with well-honed persuasion and influencing skills.