PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT MANAGER – CONNECTED HOME SOLUTIONS (IoT & SaaS)
“Perfect role for dynamic product development and product lifecycle specialist to join market leader and innovator within the smart security, comfort controls and awareness solutions sector; with track record of transitioning hardware business models to incorporate subscription based SaaS Models”.
Salary: c£Very Competitive + Car Allowance + Benefits
Location: West Midlands – Office & Remote Working
This fast growing and acquisitive client wish to strengthen their product offering with a Product Manager responsible for the development and lifecycle management of connected home solutions platforms including smart security, access control, comfort and awareness solutions. A key part of this role will be to work closely with our clients hardware and software design teams to transition to a subscription based SaaS model.
Your experience may have been gained within a Product Management role in one of these sectors or in aligned sectors such as smart connected home security, access control, smart cameras, audio visual, heating, zoning, smart metering, smart garage, smart locking, smart lighting, door bells etc.
You will take full ownership and responsibility for your designated product portfolio and will deliver continued commercial success of those products by managing them according to their stage within the product lifecycle. You must have experience of NPD from ‘cradle to grave’.
• Evaluate and co-ordinate product portfolio to evaluate market trends and feedback from customer research to identify gaps in the current product portfolio with a view to superseding existing products and introducing new products and new product category strategies.
• In this respect, work closely with key account clients in OEM, Retail and Distributor Channels and internally with cross functional colleagues in marketing, hardware and software design and development, technical, quality, procurement and sales to harness cross functional expertise.
• Be the go-to-person in the business for new product ideas, actively promote this and make yourself available to encourage idea generation across the business.
• Keep abreast of product developments within our client’s specific OEM & Distributor sector and amongst its competitors. Use this intelligence to identify new product opportunities.
• Develop project proposals to be considered for entry into the product development process, paying close attention to cost, price and margin and for projects that merit progression, work closely to the Prince2/Agile Scrum product development and Stage Gate processes to deliver products in a timely, high quality and financially compelling manner.
• Monitor project status and communicate to the rest of the business including at Board level.
• Work closely with cross functional colleagues in Marketing, Hardware and Softeware Design & Technical, Manufacturing, Quality, Sales & Commercial to ensure stringent validation approvals against the product design where necessary.
• Monitor the evolving needs of customers and the sales teams to ensure that projects are being treated with the right level of priority at any given time.
• Work with sales, procurement and supply chain to establish initial order quantities and with marketing to deliver a fully featured launch process and collateral and also prepare training material in relation to the new product and ensure it is delivered to all relevant parties.
• In partnership with the sales team and technical teams, stay close to early adopters of new products and gather feedback on experiences of the product feeding back improvements to the design team. Feedback positive comment to the sales and marketing teams to incorporate in pitches/marketing material.
• Conduct a ground up review of the product portfolio understanding the detail and intricacies of the range. Rationalise legacy and obsolete products, classify remaining products and create an action plan for each by revisiting features and benefit and re-launch to the sales force or investigate opportunities for VAVE or replacement.
• Build a category development strategy for the product portfolio and manage all products accordingly including looking for opportunities to reduce the size of the portfolio, categorise & bundle product ranges, review opportunities for VAVE, re-energise products by modernising packaging, manage changeovers and ensure terminated products are sold off profitably.
• Create excitement across the business when stock is available in order that the products are more likely to be talked about to customers by the sales team.
• Be fully involved with colleagues in Marketing to deliver fully featured product launch.
Undertake all training of sales/commercial colleagues so that they are fully au fait with product specifications, features and benefits.
• Educated to degree level with a strong track record in product management, ideally but not exclusively, gained within one of these or aligned sectors: smart connected home security, access control, smart cameras, audio visual, heating, zoning, smart metering, smart garage, smart locking, smart lighting, door bells etc
• Experienced in creating end to end connected home platforms from device, cloud, data, mobile app etc
• Experience of transitioning from purely hardware business models to launching subscription based SaaS models. Strong awareness of data monetisation solutions.
• Ideally this experience should be focused on the domestic/residential B2C customer market with products sold via B2B wholesale. OEM and distributor channels.
• Must have experience of NPD from concept to launch as well as product portfolio
• management and product lifecycle management through to termination. This is not a pure marketing or design role however you will be working closely with colleagues in Marketing and Design.
• Must include experience of undertaking VAVE/Value Analysis and Value Engineering to ensure that products can realistically be designed and developed and launched into the market at price points which meet market requirements and profit margin targets.
• May have experience of new packaging design and categorisation of products into compelling product bundles for customers.
• Prince 2 Practitioner/Agile Scrum preferred or experienced in similar project stage gate management methodology.
• Strong strategic analysis and planning skills and an impressive portfolio of new product development from concept to launch.
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
• Comfortable working in a matrix management environment. Experienced in presenting value propositions to senior executive level both internally and externally with key account clients.
• Experience of working with hardware and software design and manufacturing colleagues in both the UK and potentially the Far East/Internationally.
To apply without delay, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference LX 643662 Telephone 01905 381 320 www.martinveasey.com