TECHNICAL MANAGER – PROCESS & PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT & TESTING
“Transformational change and leadership role for graduate calibre Engineering professional, with lean, CI & Six Sigma experience required to manage specification sales led technical operation. Experience of sheet metal CNC forming, pressing and welding processes, innovation, product development and testing advantageous”
c£55-60000 + Benefits
East/West Midlands border
Commutable from Nuneaton, Tamworth, Atherstone, Dordon, Bedworth, Hinckley, Lichfield, Ashby de la Zouche, Leicester, Coventry, Rugby, Lutterworth, Sutton Coldfield, Coleshill, Cannock, Rugeley, Burton upon Trent, Birmingham, Solihull, Warwick, Leamington Spa
Our client, a division of a large UK group, is a market leader in the specification sales led manufacture and supply of mechanical security and service access solutions to the industrial and commercial sector including hotels, airports, shopping centres, high rise buildings, supermarkets, distribution centres, hotels, rail/underground, hospitals/care homes, student accommodation, commercial and residential developments, interior design and fit out sector. The technical and sales team work closely with architects, engineers, main contractors and other specifiers. The products are both standard and bespoke.
With a broad remit and working with a small team you will lead the Technical function across one major site on the East/West Midlands border and oversight of another in Hertfordshire. You will work with design, product development, sales, CNC technical engineers/programmers, IT and production personnel. Using best practice, you will identify opportunities for increased efficiency, productivity & innovation. Your ultimate responsibility is to take the division, technically, from its current state to a higher level within a few years that will drive business growth with differentiated products.
Key to success in the role is oversight of testing, fire certification and compliance both routine and developmental in the light of building regulations and recent events in high rise buildings.
- Develop and evolve appropriate processes to efficiently drive new and existing product portfolio development, creating an environment to promote innovation, engineering integrity, reliability and best value.
- Develop and evolve effective processes to manage the compliance and timely delivery of customised manufacturing design data in line with agreed service levels.
- Effectively maintain the organisation’s product certification and regulatory compliance programme, ensuring appropriate systems and controls are in place to identify changes in regulatory and certification requirements and maintaining compliance throughout the specification of standard and customised products.
- Provide a source of technical leadership and expertise to the Division focussing on the development of engineering techniques.
- Lead initiatives to support the business’s waste reduction strategy through value engineering and design for manufacture.
- Develop appropriate KPIs that drive and measure continuous improvement.
- Lead the personal development and capability of the design and manufacturing support team members.
- Set and then work within established budgets, managing full costs associated with development of existing products and new product development.
- Maintain high standards around the company’s established operating principles of Lean Operational Excellence, Data Driven Decision Making, Profitable Growth, and Employee Engagement.
- Maintain and develop robust business systems including overseeing migration and implementation of new ERP system.
- Drive safety excellence within all technical operations and contribute to daily maintenance management.
- You will be an engineering graduate or time-served probably with HND or HNC and with c7/8 years proven experience in managing a technical, mechanical design or manufacturing environment ideally working with sheet metal or similar materials.
- Previous specific responsibilities may have been for mechanical design, production or/and engineering functions. Enjoys supporting manufacturing.
- Experience in managing and maintaining fire certifications and testing for passive fire protection products is desirable.
- Commercial understanding and used to serving customers daily.
- Strong focus on innovation and driving processes
- Exceptional communication and relationship management/building skills across all functions.
- A proven motivator, mentor and highly visible leader who has successfully worked and engaged with cross-functional teams.
- Assertive and effective decision making demonstrating a senior presence whilst also a team player.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to contribute to the strategic agenda.
- Expertise in lean/continuous improvement.
- Takes personal ownership and able to manage the journey.
- Strategically minded but tactically adept. Total business understanding and focus on key priorities.
- Future potential to progress further within the organisation. Able to take the business to new levels.